May 17, 2021 Commission Meeting Minutes
GOODLAND CITY COMMISSION
May 17, 2021 5:00 P.M.
Mayor John Garcia called the meeting to order with Commissioner Aaron Thompson, Commissioner J. J. Howard and Commissioner Gary Farris responding to roll call. Vice-Mayor Jay Dee Brumbaugh was reported absent.
Also present were Dustin Bedore – Director of Electric Utilities, Frank Hayes – Chief of Police, Joshua Jordan – IT Director, Kenton Keith – Director of Streets and Facilities, Neal Thornburg – Director of Water and Wastewater, Danny Krayca – Director of Parks, Mary Volk – City Clerk and Alan Lanning – City Manager.
Mayor Garcia led Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Agenda – ON A MOTION by Commissioner Farris to approve Agenda as presented seconded by Commissioner Howard. MOTION carried to approve agenda as presented on a VOTE of 4-0.
Alan Lanning stated, after a reflective process, I am voluntarily resigning my position with the City of Goodland effective May 21, 2021. I am not seeking severance pay and will be retiring from public service.
- Executive Session KSA 75-4319 (b) (1) for personnel matters of nonelected personnel – Mayor Garcia made a motion at 5:02 p.m. to recess into executive session under authority of K.S.A.75-4319 (b) (1) for personnel matters for nonelected personnel not to exceed ten minutes. I request the Commission and City Attorney, Jake Kling be present. Commissioner Farris seconded the motion. MOTION carried by a VOTE of 4-0. Meeting resumed at 5:12 p.m.
PUBLIC HEARING – Mayor Garcia opened public hearing at 5:12 p.m. Justine Benoit, Economic Development Coordinator from Northwest Kansas Planning and Development Commission stated, the City is applying for CDBG-CV3 relief grant through the Kansas Department of Commerce. Applications are due June 1st with estimated award date July 1st. Sherman County received the grant and the money went fast so City can now apply to assist additional businesses. The maximum award is $150,000, used for profit businesses with economic issues caused by COVID 19 virus. Costs can be retroactive to March 1, 2020. City can set up their plan to distribute funds. Businesses will make application to City for grant money, then the City will receive the funds from the State to pay the business. Eligible costs for applications are working capital, utilities, inventory and payroll. Businesses are not eligible if received money from County grant. Mayor Garcia asked, administrative contract fees are $13,400? Justine stated, that is correct and paid from grant. Mayor Garcia closed hearing at 5:15 p.m.
PRESENTATIONS & PROCLAMATIONS
- Eklund Insurance Agency –Jeanette Ruddell, Eklund Insurance Agent stated, I would like to present the City the 2020-2021 dividend check for your participation in the KMU safety program. Jacque Livengood, owner Eklund Insurance stated, we have our broker RFP completed if you would like us to distribute to the Commission, we will send digital file tomorrow. We will await to hear from Commission.
- 05/03/21 Commission Meeting Minutes
- Appropriation Ordinances: 2021-10, 2021-10A, and 2021-P10
ON A MOTION by Commissioner Thompson to approve Consent Agenda seconded by Commissioner Howard. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
ORDINANCES AND RESOLUTIONS
- Resolution 1574: 2021 CDBG-CV3 Application – Alan stated, this resolution authorizes Mayor Garcia to sign application for the CDBG-CV3 grant. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Farris to approve Resolution 1574: 2021 CDBG-CV3 Application seconded by Commissioner Thompson. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- NWKP&DC CDBG-CV3 Grant Contract – ON A MOTION by Commissioner Howard to approve the administrative contract with Northwest Kansas Planning and Development Commission for CDBG-CV3 grant in the amount of $13,400 seconded by Commissioner Farris. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Runway 5-23 Bid Award – Darin Neufeld, EBH Engineer stated, we received two bids for the project. Smokey Hill is low bid in the amount of $2,822,078.50. All information in bid has been verified; we recommend accepting low bid contingent upon approval from the FAA. Airport Board met Friday and concurs with bid award. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Farris to approve the bid from Smokey Hill in the amount of $2,822,078.50 contingent upon FAA approval seconded by Commissioner Thompson. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0. Darin stated, cost to the City was 10%, however, Todd Rastorfer, FAA Airport Engineer informed us grant is funded 100% with the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA). The ARPA funding will also apply to the Tech Op’s Reimbursable Agreement the Commission previously approved. We were able to utilize similar funding with ARRA money on Taxiway A.
- Approval for FAA Grant Application Submission – Mary stated, grant application is for Runway 5-23. We could not apply for the grant until we received bids to apply for all project costs. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Howard to approve submitting the grant application for Runway 5-23 with the FAA seconded by Commissioner Farris. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Global Medical Response (EagleMed) Airport Lease – Alan stated, we received the signed lease from Global Medical Response (EagleMed) for renewal of lease under same terms. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Farris to renew the Airport Lease with Global Medical Response (EagleMed) seconded by Commissioner Howard. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- City Manager – 1. As a reminder we have a strategic planning session May 19th at 5:00 p.m.
- City Commissioners
Commissioner Thompson – 1. No Report
Vice-Mayor Brumbaugh – 1. Absent, No Report
Commissioner Howard – 1. Employees did a good job on City wide clean-up, appreciate their work.
Commissioner Farris – 1. Everything looks good with the rains.
- Mayor – 1. Echo Commissioner Howard’s comments, look forward to moving forward.
ADJOURNMENT WAS HAD ON A MOTION BY Commissioner Farris seconded by Commissioner Howard. Motion carried by unanimous VOTE, meeting adjourned at 5:30 p.m. Next meeting is scheduled for June 7, 2021. A Joint City-County Meeting is scheduled for May 24, 2021.
ATTEST: John Garcia, Mayor
Mary P. Volk, City Clerk