February 21, 2023 Commission Meeting Minutes
GOODLAND CITY COMMISSION
February 21, 2023 5:00 P.M.
Mayor Aaron Thompson called the meeting to order with Vice-Mayor J. J. Howard, Commissioner Ann Myers and Commissioner Brook Redlin responding to roll call. Commissioner Jason Showalter was reported absent.
Also present were Dustin Bedore – Director of Electric Utilities, Frank Hayes – Chief of Police, Joshua Jordan – IT Director, Kenton Keith – Director of Streets and Facilities, Neal Thornburg – Director of Water and Wastewater, Danny Krayca – Director of Parks, Mary Volk – City Clerk and Kent Brown – City Manager.
Mayor Thompson led Pledge of Allegiance
- Blaine Varney, Sherman County Sherriff Officer stated, we lost Officer Riedesel last August. His daughter was selected to play softball on the American International Softball team in Italy. We are hosting the Jeff Riedesel Memorial Golf Tournament as a fundraiser to send Grace and her mother Susan to Italy to play softball. We are asking the City for a sponsor in the tournament, or if you know anyone who wants to play in tournament, cost is $80 per team. Tournament is April 29th and we have three levels of sponsorship; Gold, Silver or Bronze. Any donation would be appreciated. Mayor Thompson stated, this is an awesome opportunity for her. When do you need sponsorship? Blaine stated, our goal is to wrap up sponsorship by April 12th. Commissioner Myers asked, do you need help with anything else? Blaine stated, we are going to invite food trucks for lunch if you would like to bring your truck. We are also having a silent auction if you have items available. Mayor Thompson stated, we will take under consideration at our next meeting.
- 02/06/23 Commission Meeting Minutes
- Appropriation Ordinances: 2023-04, 2023-04A, and 2023-P04
ON A MOTION by Commissioner Redlin to approve Consent Agenda seconded by Vice-Mayor Howard. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Cemetery Board Appointment – Kent stated, this request is to reappoint Jackie Elliott to the Cemetery Board for another three year term. The cemetery board recommends approval of Jackie to the board. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Redlin to approve the reappointment of Jackie Elliott to the Cemetery Board for a three year term seconded by Commissioner Myers. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- KMEA Board Appointment – Kent stated, KMEA board appointments expire this spring and as a member city the commission is required to make appointments to the board. This is a request to reappoint Dustin Bedore as Director 1 on the KMEA Board of Directors. In addition, we are requesting the reappointment of Lukas Wolak as Alternate and appointment of Kent Brown as an additional alternate. This will meet the bylaws of a member agency of KMEA. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Redlin to approve the reappointments of Dustin Bedore as Director 1 on the KMEA Board of Directors, Lukas Wolak as Alternate and Kent Brown as an additional alternate seconded by Commissioner Myers. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Front End Loader Request – Kent stated, information is in packet regarding age and conditions of existing loaders. We are looking to replace 1990 John Deere loader, which is thirty-three years old and getting difficult to maintain. Kenton stated, the loader has had a lot of wear and tear and is a rough ride. It was supposed to be replaced in 2010. We looked at demo models a few years ago and would like to continue with replacement of loader. We have been putting money away in MERF. This update will help with snow removal. Commissioner Redlin asked, what is cost for new loader? Kenton stated, around three years ago they were $180,000, but I have not checked on price recently. We plan to sell existing loader on auction to recoup some funds. Vice-Mayor Howard asked, do you know what costs are for items needing repairs? Kenton stated, unaware of total cost as Levi can fix some items, but most will need to be repaired in a mechanic shop so will end up taking paying hourly labor costs. Last year our New Holland had to go to Yost’s for a break job which cost $30,000. Mayor Thompson stated, it is old enough it will get tough to get some parts. Kenton stated, we want to put out bid specifications to get loader comparable in size. Consensus of commission is to proceed with bids specifications as money has been set aside.
- City Manager – 1. Manager memo is in the packet. 2. Police monthly activity report is in packet. 3. The joint City/County meeting is scheduled for March 23rd at 5:00 p.m. Will need specific topics at next meeting. 4. There has been no improvement on either trailer at 1523 Colorado Avenue. He was given extra time and his partner has bowed out. We will be submitting RFP to remove trailers at which time Commission can determine next step. 5. KMEA 101is temporarily scheduled for March 29th; they are at Garden City March 30th. If date does not work they will schedule a later time. Consensus of commission is to proceed with March 29th date. 6. I need to request executive session for 10 minutes at end of meeting.
- City Commissioners
Vice-Mayor Howard – 1. No Report
Commissioner Showalter – 1. Absent, No Report
Commissioner Myers – 1. No Report
Commissioner Redlin – 1. Thank you to the police department for helping citizens, it is appreciated.
- Mayor Thompson– 1. No Report
- EXECUTIVE SESSION – Under the Authority of KSA 75-4319 (b) (1) for Personnel Matters for Nonelected Personnel – Mayor Thompson made a motion at 5:20 p.m. to recess into executive session under authority of K.S.A.75-4319 (b) (1) for personnel matters for nonelected personnel not to exceed ten minutes. I request City Commission and City Manager be present. Commissioner Redlin seconded the motion. MOTION carried by a VOTE of 4-0. Meeting resumed at 5:30 p.m.
ADJOURNMENT WAS HAD ON A MOTION BY Vice-Mayor Howard seconded by Commissioner Myers. Motion carried by unanimous VOTE, meeting adjourned at 5:30 p.m. Next meeting is scheduled for March 6, 2023.
ATTEST: Aaron Thompson, Mayor
Mary P. Volk, City Clerk