April 4, 2016 Commission Minutes
GOODLAND CITY COMMISSION
April 4, 2016 5:00 P.M.
Meeting was called to order by Vice-Mayor Annette Fairbanks with Commissioner Gary Farris, Commissioner Gwen Mai and Commissioner John Garcia responding to roll call. Mayor Brian Linin was reported absent.
Also present were Rich Simon – Director of Public Works, Mary Volk – City Clerk, and Gerry Bieker – City Manager.
Vice-Mayor Fairbanks led Pledge of Allegiance
- 03/21/16 Commission Meeting Minutes
- Appropriation Ordinances , 2016-07, 2016-07A, and 2016-P07
ON A MOTION by Commissioner Garcia to approve Consent Agenda seconded by Commissioner Mai. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Approval of Contract Mowing Bid – Gerry stated, we received several bids for contract mowing. There were three low bids at $25.00 per hour. The City contracted with Nancy Gilmer last year and had very little conflict with her; she bid $26.00 per hour again this year. However, Staff recommends accepting one of the three low bids. Commissioner Mai stated, I will need to excuse myself from discussion and decision on this item due to a conflict of interest. Commissioner Mai removed herself from the Commission Chambers. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks stated, this issue came up at last meeting with the contract spraying when the Commission approved the high bid. We have the same situation here if we are pleased with work done by last year’s contractor. Gerry stated, overall yes, there was a time period she fell behind but got caught up. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks stated, the additional cost if the Commission approves Nancy’s bid is $1.00 per hour but I feel we need to take into consideration her past job performance. Commissioner Farris stated, it does not matter to me, whichever contractor is fine. There are three low bids. Gerry stated, based on last year costs, the difference between Nancy and the low bid is $329. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks stated, I presume all bidders will do a good job but we need to take into consideration past performance. Do we hire someone else if we are pleased with past performance? Commissioner Garcia stated, last meeting there were some issues brought up about the other bid by the bidder we approved for contract spraying. Nancy has done a good job and difference is minimal. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks stated, no one contacted me concerning issues on the spraying bids last meeting. Gerry stated, it is good to have a number of good bids for service. ON A MOTION by Vice-Mayor Fairbanks to approve the bid from Nancy Gilmer for Contract Mowing in the amount of $26.00 per hour seconded by Commissioner Garcia. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 2-1 with Commissioner Farris casting the dissenting vote. Nancy stated, I appreciate the Commission accepting my bid. I did the mowing last year and feel having the right equipment for the job is important.
Commissioner Mai returned to the meeting.
- Approval of Pay Estimate #1 to APAC: Waterline Improvements 2015 Phase I – Gerry stated, APAC pay estimate #1 in the amount of $496,663.35 is for half the mobilization costs and for supplies purchased for project. They are proceeding on project. EBH Engineer has approved pay estimate and recommends approval. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Garcia to approve Pay Estimate #1 to APAC: Waterline Improvements 2015 Phase I in the amount of $496,663.35 seconded by Commissioner Farris. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Approval of Utility Charge Offs – Gerry stated, you have a list of accounts deemed uncollectable and we would like to continue with process to take them off our books. We continue to try to collect outstanding balances but these need to be removed from our books. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Garcia to approve Utility Charge Offs in the amount of $3,913.10 seconded by Commissioner Mai. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- City Managers Report- 1. 19th Street Project is scheduled to begin first of June. 2. Waterline Improvement Project has been progressing smoothly. Property at 1006 Caldwell has been demolished and the property looks good. 4. I had a good conversation with County Commission last week regarding Economic Development and feel we will grow on it. 5. I have a video I would like the Commission to watch. I would like to set up a meeting with the company to provide an overview of their services for community leaders from the County, City, Hospital, College and School. It is an expensive service but one I feel will be good for community. They provide data on the type of consumers and tourists that stop in our community. Commissioner Garcia asked, would this be a presentation to have at annual Chamber of Commerce meeting? Gerry stated, I do not believe so but feel Chamber of Commerce should be at meeting. I feel community leaders need to come together to listen to presentation and determine whether we can afford it because it is very expensive but good information to have. I am considering the first week of May; need to get with County Commission to see if that also works for them. Commissioner Mai stated, with advance notice people should be able to make it work. Commissioner Garcia stated, the sooner people can get the date on their schedule the more you will get to attend. 6. I have distributed the budget schedule if anyone has concerns please let us know. 7. We are reviewing bonding for Phase 1 of the Waterline Improvement Project and discussing the ability of adding Phase 2 to the bond issue. We are anticipating adding additional lines and a meter reading system. 8. Shauna Johnson, Utility Billing Clerk introduced three of the Junior Commissioners present at meeting: Emily Whisnant, Chelsea Phillips and Margaux Thompson. Gerry stated I would like to have a reception for the five Junior Commissioners prior to next City Commission meeting.
MAYOR AND COMMISSION REPORTS
- Commissioner Reports
Commissioner Mai – 1. I would like to thank Brian James and the firemen that assisted with the fire in southern Kansas.
Commissioner Farris – 1. The car club was out Saturday night and Goodland actually had cars on Main Street. Good to have people out in community
Vice-Mayor Fairbanks – 1. No Report.
Commissioner Garcia – 1. I noticed in paper neighboring communities are participating in the first impressions program. Goodland has a lot that can give exposure to our community. Gerry stated, I saw that and am not sure who was involved in this I need to follow-up with Suzanne. It is part of pride program. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks stated, I got the information from our strategic planning meeting and waiting for Commission to meet again to discuss the strategic plan.
- Mayors Report – Absent, No Report.
ADJOURNMENT WAS HAD ON A MOTION Commissioner Garcia seconded by Commissioner Farris. Motion carried by unanimous VOTE, meeting Adjourned at 5:25 p.m.
ATTEST: Annette Fairbanks, Vice-Mayor
Mary P. Volk, City Clerk