November 2, 2015 Commission Minutes
GOODLAND CITY COMMISSION
November 2, 2015 5:00 P.M.
Meeting was called to order by Mayor Brian Linin with Vice-Mayor Annette Fairbanks, Commissioner Gary Farris, Commissioner Gwen Mai and Commissioner John Garcia responding to roll call.
Also present were Rich Simon – Director of Public Works, Dustin Bedore – Director of Public Utilities, Suzanne McClure – Economic Development Director, Alex Weis – Code Enforcement, Mary Volk – City Clerk, and Gerry Bieker – City Manager.
Mayor Linin led Pledge of Allegiance
- 10/20/15 Commission Meeting Minutes
- Appropriation Ordinances , 2015-21, 2015-21A, and 2015-P21
ON A MOTION by Commissioner Garcia to approve Consent Agenda seconded by Commissioner Mai. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 5-0.
- Ordinance 1683: Temporary Event Liquor License – Gerry stated, this ordinance allows the City to issue a temporary event liquor license. We will be receiving a request from the Governor’s Hunt soon. ON A MOTION by Vice-Mayor Fairbanks to approve Ordinance 1683: Temporary Event Liquor License seconded by Commissioner Garcia. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-1 with Commissioner Farris casting the dissenting vote.
- Ordinance 1684: Vacating Alley-Grant Jr. High – Gerry stated, this ordinance vacates the portion of the alley that the Junior High sits on. They need this vacation to get financing for their project. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Garcia to approve Ordinance 1684: Vacating Alley-Grant Jr. High seconded by Commissioner Farris. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 5-0.
- Resolution 1452: Unfit Structure 1526 Kansas (Tabled from September 21, 2015) – Gerry stated, the Commission requested property owner be present tonight; she decided last minute she cannot make it. Mayor Linin stated, she is living there and you can see damage on outside of property. Alex stated, we did walk through the property; the inside is really rough as well. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks asked, are there code violations? Alex stated, yes the floor has no covering in most of rooms, the bathroom floor is completely rotten, lots of water damage, and exposed outlets and wires. They updated inside electrical panel but work need to be done on outside as it is only a 40 amp service to house and in one spot they used garden hose as a conduit for electrical. We were supposed to sign contract today at 1:30 but she postponed it until Wednesday. The contract requires outside electrical be done within thirty days, interior work complete in ninety days and they have till April for outside work. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks stated, I feel if she does not show up Wednesday we move forward. Mayor Linin asked, how do we proceed if she lives there? Alex stated, I feel you issue her a notice to vacate property. Gerry stated, I would like her to sign contract but feel she needs to come before Commission. ON A MOTION by Vice-Mayor Fairbanks to table Resolution 1452: Unfit Structure 1526 Kansas till next Commission meeting with the understanding she is required to be at the meeting to discuss plans or we proceed with resolution. Staff needs to get contract signed seconded by Commissioner Mai. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks asked, we have authority to address if it is a code violation right? Gerry stated, yes these are violations of housing code, electrical code, and life and safety codes. Mayor Linin stated, I do not feel government should kick people out of their home. Gerry stated, if it is a life and safety issue and something happens, if we know about it, there is a problem. Commissioner Garcia stated, we have to address it from a concern stand point for her safety and be considerate of finances; hopefully we can make some headway. Gerry stated, she moved in to property after we started process so she knew what she was doing. Commissioner Mai stated, we have given her many chances but it is difficult without communication. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 5-0.
- City Managers Report- 1. Gerry stated, I tried to explain the issue we had with some demand electric meters. The issue came to our attention with the high school feeling their demand charge was too high. After research and a visit with our supplier, some smart meters were programmed incorrectly from the supplier which increased demand charges. When we found the programming issue we reviewed all demand meters and found six meters in service that had programming issue. We reviewed their accounts and the Commission approved rebates in appropriation ordinance tonight. The final amount rebated was about $130,000 in charges. The supplier did not have a good reason why they were programmed incorrectly. Dustin stated, we are reviewing the programming now for all meters purchased. 2. Art Center sent City a thank you for painting the building; it looks nice. The annual supper for NW Kansas Planning and Development Commission is November 16th, Suzanne is attending. It would be nice if some of the Commission could go but it is on our next Commission meeting night. I would also like to attend. Consensus of Commission is to reschedule the next Commission meeting to November 17th at 5:00 p.m. so Gerry can attend the supper.
MAYOR AND COMMISSION REPORTS
- Commissioner Reports
Commissioner Mai – 1. No Report
Commissioner Garcia – 1. No Report
Vice-Mayor Fairbanks – 1. Trunk or treat was a big success on Main Street. 2. Ask everyone to please vote tomorrow.
Commissioner Farris – 1. Do we know who Go Goodland and Growing Goodland is so we know who to thank for getting right information out? Gerry stated, Go Goodland is Economic Development and not sure who Growing Goodland is. Mayor Linin stated, my wife is a member of Growing Goodland as well as Denise Floyd. Gary stated, they are getting the word out right.
- Mayors Report – We need to make an appointment to the Housing Authority Board. I appoint Cheryl Rilinger to replace Esther Beard as the Resident Board Member for the Housing Authority. ON A MOTION by Vice-Mayor Fairbanks to approve the Mayor’s Board Appointment seconded by Commissioner Mai. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 5-0.
ADJOURNMENT WAS HAD ON A MOTION Commissioner Garcia seconded by Commissioner Farris. Motion carried by unanimous VOTE, meeting Adjourned at 5:32 p.m.
ATTEST: Brian Linin, Mayor
Mary P. Volk, City Clerk