September 20, 2021 Commission Minutes
GOODLAND CITY COMMISSION
September 20, 2021 5:00 P.M.
Mayor John Garcia called the meeting to order with Vice-Mayor Jay Dee Brumbaugh, Commissioner Aaron Thompson and Commissioner J. J. Howard responding to roll call. Commissioner Gary Farris was reported absent.
Also present were Dustin Bedore – Director of Electric Utilities, Frank Hayes – Chief of Police, Joshua Jordan – IT Director, Kenton Keith – Director of Streets and Facilities, Neal Thornburg – Director of Water and Wastewater, Danny Krayca – Director of Parks, Mary Volk – City Clerk and Cherise Tieben – Interim City Manager.
Mayor Garcia led Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Agenda – ON A MOTION by Vice-Mayor Brumbaugh to approve Agenda as presented seconded by Commissioner Howard. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Meghan Weis citizen stated, I have talked to Meghan Thomas about the class for chickens. She has agreed to talk to her board about paying for the supplies for the class. Colleen Gattshall is 4-H leader for chickens and is willing to help with class. Regarding citizens concerned with chickens at large, I am willing to see if farmers with chickens are willing to take these chickens.
- 09/07/21 Commission Meeting Minutes
- 09/07/21 Special Commission Meeting Minutes
- Appropriation Ordinances: 2021-18, 2021-18A, and 2021-P18
- Wilkens Easement
- Mosbarger Easement
Cherise stated, the easements are on agenda but not required. This provides the City with a record of the easement that can be easily researched.
ON A MOTION by Commissioner Thompson to approve Consent Agenda seconded by Vice-Mayor Brumbaugh. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- KDOT Aviation Grants- Andrew Brunner EBH Engineer stated, the Airport Board has recommended the City submit two grant applications to KDOT Aviation. The priority is to replace joint seal and repaint runway 12-30. The second grant is new hangar taxiway. The hangar taxiway is to extend west side of taxiway by T-hangars and open up area for more hangar construction. We will emphasize the joint seal and repaint project as our priority with KDOT. Commissioner Thompson asked, local share of funds are available? Mary stated, yes. ON A MOTION by Vice-Mayor Brumbaugh to approve submitting the two grant applications to KDOT Aviation, with our priority being the joint seal and repaint of runway 12-30 seconded by Commissioner Thompson. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Approval of Cemetery Maintenance Contract Amendment – Mary stated, the City has not set fees to open and close the ossuarium niches for services. The Cemetery Board has recommended setting a fee at $50 Monday through Friday and $100 on Saturdays. Commissioner Thompson asked, why is the cost double for weekend? I am assuming because of the inconvenience of a weekend. I feel twice as much is a lot but understand she has to make herself available. Joni Guyer stated, yes and we cannot leave niche open. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Howard to approve Amendment to Cemetery Maintenance Contract for fees to open and close ossuarium niches seconded by Vice-Mayor Brumbaugh. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Release of Utility Easement – Cherise stated, this utility easement release is because the City no longer has electrical lines and no longer needs easement. We do not see a need for easement in future. We will have another release prepared on a tract of land south of this property for same reason. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Thompson to authorize release of utility easement seconded by Commissioner Howard. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Approval of City Manager Employment Agreement with Kent Brown – Cherise stated, the City Manager contract for Kent Brown was negotiated by Mayor Garcia. The contract is similar to past City Manager contracts; he has accepted contract for $96,000. We added a couple sections for the code of ethics of ICMA. Kent will begin October 25th. Mayor Garcia stated, we negotiated a two-year contract. Kent agreed to start October 25th, which will benefit Commission. Jake has reviewed the contract. Cherise stated, the background check came back with no issues. ON A MOTION by Vice-Mayor Brumbaugh to approve the two year City Manager Employment Agreement with Kent Brownfor annual salary of $96,000 and moving expenses of $2,500seconded by Commissioner Thompson. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Interim City Manager – 1. The Platinum Anniversary celebration of the Big Easel is Saturday September 24th at the VanGogh. 2. Black Hills Energy dinner is September 22nd, they are asking for RSVP’s.
- City Commissioners
Commissioner Thompson – 1. No Report
Vice-Mayor Brumbaugh – 1. No Report
Commissioner Howard – 1. No Report
Commissioner Farris – 1. Absent, No Report
- Mayor – 1. Would like to thank employees for work in absence of City Manager. Cherise continues to work with us diligently. 2. Next Commission meeting is October 4th.
ADJOURNMENT WAS HAD ON A MOTION BY Vice-Mayor Brumbaugh seconded by Commissioner Thompson. Motion carried by unanimous VOTE, meeting adjourned at 5:20 p.m. Next meeting is scheduled for October 4, 2021.
ATTEST: John Garcia, Mayor
Mary P. Volk, City Clerk